Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rollercoaster

The past ten days have been a major rollercoaster ride of emotion. It was as though I climbed on rollercoaster, closed my eyes, threw my hands up in the air, and waited, each day, to see where I was on this ride....the top or the bottom.

Climbing to the top. A very special young man in our lives has been so excited about heading off to college. Many of his closest friends from high school will be there with him, even living in the same dorm. This summer has been spent preparing for this moment.

Zooming to the bottom. The Friday night before he left, I lost it. Totally fell apart. This bright spot in my life was leaving. There would be a void. No back to scratch during church. No one to turn around in the communion line and ask if I would hold out my hand (so he could put his gum in it).

Back to the top. We went to say goodbye Saturday morning and his parents asked if I wanted to come to help move him in. To my house in back in five minutes with my bags packed! His room is great. His roommate is a close friend. We saw so many guys and girls he knew. Knowing how happy he was made the leaving a little easier.

Easing to the middle. The ride home was very quiet with a few tears. I tried not to babble my head off like I usually do when I'm uncomfortable with silence. I was eagerly anticipating the next day when several of us would take his mom to lunch to keep her busy.

Down again. Monday morning I checked on a good friend who has pneuomonia only to find out that another good friend's father had passed away the night before.

Up. We attended the sports kick-off at our godson's school. We are so proud of him and determined to be there for him since it was his brother that just went to college, and he is now the only one at home out of four children. I have to say I love the back-to-school excitement and energy.

Swoosh to the bottom again. Girls Rush. So exciting and so devastating all in one. Why can't everyone just pledge what they want to? (It ended up being great for everyone we were pulling for but I didn't know it at the time on Tuesday.) My daughter's sorority really let her down and she called me off and on all week, in tears, mad and hurt. It's so hard going through Rush but it's even harder sometimes on the other side.

Zip to the top again. Thursday, we found out that another very special young man in our lives (the older brother of the one who went to college) got in a local social organization that is terribly difficult to get into. Whew! Finally, a very bright spot in the week.

Cruising at the top. We found out the sorority rush results. Everyone seems to have found a place that is just right for them. Personally, I am SO glad that's over.

Oh gosh, what was I thinking? Now, we have Boy's Rush!

This week's ride? I'm hoping for something simple like a merry-go-round. Level, peaceful and leaving a happy tickle in your tummy!

I hope you'll leave me a comment and share your experiences! Blessings!



2 comments:

  1. Had no idea you were blogging!

    impressed!!!

    lunch soon!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of rollercoasters! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete