Sunday, September 6, 2009

What To Do When Your Husband Complains That You Don't Cook Very Often

My mother and grandmother were both fabulous, southern cooks. Either one of them could've been the Paula Deen of their day. Unfortunately, I did not inherit their talent. I was moving things around in my pantry this evening and accidentally knocked my grandmother's recipe box on the ground. The recipe cards scattered everywhere. I began picking them up, one by one, to place back in the box. Two of them happened to catch my eye. Are you ready? Brussell Sprout, Tongue and Cheese Sauce Casserole and Prune Whip. I can assure you I have tasted neither and I'm not exactly sure why she took the time to even copy them onto recipe cards. I am so fascinated that someone would actually make either of these recipes, much less serve them to guests, that I am sharing them with you, as written. It dawned on me that if my husband ever complains again about my lack of cooking, I do believe I will whip both of these up and serve them at the same meal. I assure you he will NEVER complain again!! (If you ever make one of them, please let me know what you think!)

BRUSSELL SPROUT, TONGUE and CHEESE SAUCE CASSEROLE
2 packages frozen brussell sprouts
3 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup grated sharp cheese
1 cup diced, cooked tongue
Dry mustard for cheese sauce

Cook the brussell sprouts until barely tender. Drain. Sprinkle over the tongue, already in a shallow casserole dish. Make white sauce. (I am assuming that you use the flour, butter and milk to make the white sauce.) Put in grated cheese. Pour over tongue and brussell sprout mixture. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly hot, about 20 minutes. (I might wait and tell him what's in it AFTER he eats it!)


PRUNE WHIP
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cooked, pitted prunes
1 Tbsp. prune juice
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon rind, grated
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Place egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in large bowl and beat for 2 minutes, or until the eggs are very foamy. Continue beating and add 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time; beat for 4 minutes ot until egg whites are stiff and glossy. Place the prunes in a small bowl and mix for 2 - 3 minutes until prunes are well-mashed. Add fruit juices, rind and nuts; mix for 1 minute. Add the prune mixture slowly into the egg whites, and mix for 1 minute. Pour into a lightly buttered 1 qt. casserole. Place in pan of hot water and bake for 45 minutes. Serve with whipped cream. (Like THAT will help!)

1 comment:

  1. The tongue dish is classic! Classic what, I'm not sure, but classic! As for prune whip, I've seen recipes for that too and wondered when it would be appropriate to serve such a thing. Now I know-- the next time we get any "kitchen complaints"!

    ReplyDelete