Sunday, September 27, 2009

Thank you, God, for the Special People in our Lives!







Friday evening, I received a call that someone very dear to me was in the hospital and not doing well, and was not expected to make it through the night. We went to the hopsital and sat with the family. She was my next door neighbor for my first seven years and the "other mother" of my childhood. I cannot even begin to express how terribly sad I am for all of us that she has passed away. One by one, I am losing my beloved friends of that generation. My mentors. The godly women that I have known my whole life, since I was little, and who have loved me, taught me, and thought of me throughout my life. Oh, the countless memories!

Saturday afternoon, our daughter drove home to attend a party. She got picked up at 5:30 P.M. and had been gone about ten minutes when we walked out the door and drove two and a half hours to College Station to attend the Ring Dunk of a very special young man and his roommate. We literally snuck up there (to surprise him) because we wouldn't miss it for the world. The boys "dunk" their senior rings in a pitcher of beer (4 beers) and race to see who can get the ring between their teeth first.

The winner took 36 seconds and his roommate took 38 seconds. Success! Some burping but no vomiting! The actual Ring Dunk was followed by the father of this young man, his uncle and his brother-in-law (to be) "dunking" their rings, but in only two beers each. The two Aggie dads creamed the Sooner! So, like father like son...they were both the winners of their respective dunks. LOTS of LOUD burping! There were about one hundred people attending this Ring Dunk party and we were thrilled to be part of this great tradition! We drove home and walked in the door literally one minute after our daughter came home.
As I am going to sleep, I am reflecting upon the fact that I am now becoming that woman in my younger friends lives. They will watch me grow old. I want to make every second count. I want to create memory after memory.

1 comment:

  1. Who were the Rockport Rowdies?
    I am from Germany.

    ReplyDelete