Friday, July 31, 2009

Mom was a Foodie



I used to tease my mom that she and I could not get through one conversation with her talking about food. She LOVED to cook. The kitchen was the heart of her home. I can still remember coming home from school and doing my homework in the kitchen because it always smelled so good. Mom learned to cook from her German grandparents, who owned and operated a bakery.

Cooking and entertaining meant everything to my mom. She didn't just throw together a quick meal, she created an event, every time she cooked. Everything had to be perfect. From the placemats to the salt shakers.

Mom was known for her southern cooking, especially her grits and her cheese souffle', neither of which I cared for. I can remember several Sunday afternoons, sneaking downstairs to open and SLAM the oven door so the souffle' would fall, so I wouldn't have to eat it. So why am I sharing the recipes for food I didn't like? Because I am the ONLY one who didn't like them. EVERYONE else absolutely LOVED them.

Well, here they are, shared the way they were written....


Jerry Lee's Cheese Souffle'

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup of milk
1/2 lb. Nippy cheese spread
4 egg yolks, well beaten
4 egg whites, beaten until stiff

Melt butter. Add flour and salt; blend. Add milk slowly; cook, stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Add cheese; stir until melted. Gradually add sauce to egg yolks. Carefully fold in egg whites, beaten stiff but not dry. Pour into ungreased quart-and-a-half souffle' dish. Set the souffle' dish in a pan of water and bake in a moderately slow oven (325 degrees), for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until mixture doesn't adhere to a knife. * Sometimes I add a pinch of dry mustard. (Be careful not to slam the over door!)


Jerry Lee's Famous Garlic Cheese Grits

To 3 cups boiling water add 1 cup grits. Cook for 3 minutes.

In separate pot:
Mix 1/4 cup warm milk with 3/4 stick oleo or butter. Add 1 tube garlic cheese. Mix until butter and cheese are melted.

Add 2 well-beaten eggs, 1 pressed garlic clove (optional) and a dash of cayenne pepper.

Pour this mixture into the grits and mix well. Pour into 1 1/2 qt. baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 - 55 minutes, or until set.

ENJOY!





No comments:

Post a Comment